Monday, March 5, 2007


Yesterday morning I decided to take a walk around my apartment to become more familiar with the area. I headed towards the park that Christine mentioned on our drive from the airport. The park is known for its large open field perfect for kite flying. The park has many small little gardens featuring different types of plants and bushes. Different areas have just bamboo plants while other areas have palm trees and small bushes. Two men were trimming some hedges in the shape of vases in preparation for the lantern festival. Other workers were busy sweeping and clearing the pathways. I love the incredible large straw brooms that they use to sweep the walkways. There were also a group of people huddled under a gazebo practicing music with their pan flutes and bassoons. There were many people taking a stroll, flying kites, relaxing, and exercising. I sat and watched a boy and his dad flying a kite together. Many red and gold lanterns decorated the trees for the festival. At one end of the park there was a large building with several linking ponds. The ponds were full of tadpoles with many children eagerly trying to capture them.

Christine picked me up with her daughter, Shiney, and we headed to the market before going to her parents place for dinner. I stayed outside the market with Shiney and her bike, while Christine quickly went in to pick up some items. Together we walked through the fruit area of the market. I am definitely going to venture there on my own one day with my camera and some money and see what I can find. Christine’s parents live in a very nice area. There are several apartments buildings that are separated with nice walkways and gardens. Apparently, it is one of the more expensive places to live. Inside their apartment they had very little in the way of clutter yet they did have several items that made it feel like a home. They also had a nice furniture and a large TV and stereo system. Ken, Christine’s husband, Shiney, and myself watched some TV while Christine and her mom were preparing dinner.

For dinner we had soup broth with a few vegetable, rice and several different vegetable and meat dishes. And of course a bowl of rice and a bowl of soup. Soup is served just as often as rice. The soup is usually boiled with several different types of vegetables and either fish or chicken. One usually only drinks the broth but on occasion the goodies used to make the stock are also served at the table. They had located every spoon they could find so that I would have an easier time dishing up the food into my bowl. They also offered me a fork, probably the only one they owned, to eat with, but I tried with the chop sticks. Thanks to ordering Chinese food for dinner at home a few times I can manage the chop sticks fairly well. They were actually surprised at how well I managed and informed me that I was the best foreigner they had seen to eat with chop sticks.
written Sunday, March 4

No comments: