Monday, March 26, 2007

Enjoy the view, through the smog


The city goes on forever but the sun is unable to shine through the blanket of smog. Somedays I wish I could see the blue sky with white puffy clouds the ones where you can see bunnies and sailboats. I realized how dirty it is here in China when I return to my cubical office Monday morning, after a weekend of window shopping, to find a fine layer of dirt that had settled on my desk. It makes sense why it is custom here to wear house shoes or slippers because the tile floor is never truly clean and white socks would have black soles.
Oh, and did I mention that every nook and cranny smells like mothballs. Every time I open a cupboard or a drawer, whether it is in my apartment or in one of the classrooms at school, I am greeted with this unpleasant waft. Fortunately, this oh so wonderful fragrance dissipates quickly until the next time you open cupboard. I have tried airing out my closet but it didn't make I difference. I just hope that I am not walking around smelling like mothball while I am teaching.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is so sad that they do not have the colour blue to put in their sky.