Friday, March 2, 2007

"We like to eat anything that moves"

As I was handed a menu in a traditional Cantonese restaurant the head director, Daniel, of senior 1 classes informed me that as Chinese people we like to eat anything that moves. With that, the first dish arrived, chickens feet. While I was starring at some very pale bird phalanges he proceed to tell me some other interesting and unimaginable delicious cuisines. Ants, jellyfish, scorpion, duck, sea cucumber like creature, abalone creatures and leech to name a few.
“Do you like seafood” he asked.
At home I would respond with an affirmative yes but realized that my like of seafood only extends to large fish such as salmon, halibut, cod, and a limited selection of shell fish such as crab, shrimp and prawns. So I replied with “I like some sea food” not wanting to limit myself. The rest of the plates included, peppered beef, curry noodles, honey pork, shrimp cakes, spicy jellyfish, sweet creamy egg yolk and sugar filled bun, green beans with leeches, snails, and small dried fish, and fresh hot corn juice. The hot corn juice was really tasty. It was like drinking peaches and cream corn kernels purified straight from the cob. The farmers in Chilliwack could advertise for hot corn juice and start a new market.
I will let you know that I did try the spicy jellyfish, green beans with leeches, snails and small dried fish but was unable to find the courage to taste those chickens feet. I am not sure how tasty it could be when every few seconds you have to spit out a bone. Maybe I will next time, which I am sure there will be, because in this region, as I was told by Christine they like to eat food. Oh, and the jellyfish was very rubbery and hard to chew.

Written after dinner on Friday evening

3 comments:

Morgan said...

Wow you sure are braver than I am. I don't think that I could bring myself to try jellyfish.... Sounds like you are having a great time, I am enjoying hearing about your journys!!!!!

Corrie said...

Hi Natasha,

Great to watch what you are doing. Last night I had your dad on the phone and he told me about you blog. So the first thing I did this morning was reading your dinner experiences. So, be aware that I keep an eye on you ;-).
Take care of your selve and watch your own legs (i do not know how much they like human legs [ha ha]).

Greetings and much love,

Corrie

Unknown said...

:-\ And I thought we ate some interesting things in France! Jellyfish?! Good for you for tasting!