Sunday, March 11, 2007

Heat for 30 seconds...


...not for 2 minutes. Before I arrived at my apartment a couple of the teachers stocked my fridge with some basic items. One such items were these packages of sweet buns. Not finding any english instructions I decided to take my chances and try cook the bun in the microwave. Ovens in Chinese homes are unheard of, so baking bread in the microwave was my only option. Visioning a golden brown bun I thought 2 minutes would be about right to bake the pasty white dough. Well, was I ever wrong. An awful burning smell crept through the kitchen along with smoke. My bun was anything but golden brown more like a shade of charcoal and hard as rock. These buns are not supposed to be a golden brown but remain pasty white and only need to be heated up for 30 sec. You only need to make a mistake once to learn from it.

No comments: