Monday, March 5, 2007


A special celebration is in order, for today marks the end of the Spring festival so why not hang some lanterns in the palm trees and bring on the fireworks. First, Christine and Shiney lead the way to the foot bridge where it is custom to cross the bridge either carrying a pinwheel or a bouquet of lettuce for good luck. Yes, you read correctly, a bouquet of leaf lettuce tied with some long grass and incense. In the Chinese language the word lettuce sounds similar to good fortune so they use the lettuce to represent good fortune. At the end of the bridge is a giant stature of a head of lettuce where individuals try to toss their bouquet on top of the stature. If is reaches the tops and stays then they believe that good fortune will come.

written Sunday, March 4

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! Why didn't my comment work? Boo!

Unknown said...

Yay! It worked!

...so what happened to your bouquet of lettuce?

Stacy said...

Hey, wow, I gots some reading to do. Took me long enough to get to this, I know...shameful. So, hope you're well. We miss you!!

Stacy

Natasha said...

I did not actually buy a bouquet of lettuce, although I am sure that with my baseball arm I would have had a pretty good chance of hitting the target.

Anonymous said...

Well Natasha, it's so good to hear that you're doing well. It sounds like you'll be very busy. I hope you have a great time and thoroughly enjoy all of your unique experiences (especially the chicken feet!). I look forward to hearing all about them. Wish ya all the best. Oh! I know it's a little late but I didn't get a chance to do it sooner: Pinch-punch-first of the month! Hee hee
Just to make you feel a little more at home! Keep up the wonderful blog writing - so far so good.

Natasha said...

Hey Nicole, we are a day ahead here so you better watch out for pinch punch 1st of the month next time.
Natasha