Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Ballroom lessons in Chinese

I found out today that they have dancing lessons here at the school for teachers to learn. I already had a prior commitment to participate in the English club after school with the students so there wasn’t going to be any foxtrot or quickstep today. Unless...English club ends early, which it did. I have been eager to take dance lessons for the past couple of years but never seem to have the time. I never imagined that I would learn in China. 30 minutes into the lesson I joined, okay I watched as 8 other young teachers from the school were waltzing away. Why is it that there are always more females interested in dancing and not many males? One of the ladies comes over to guide me through some steps, she speaks english and is able to demonstrate for me. Next, the instructor comes over and she doesn’t speak English very well, but is trying to teach me some additional steps. This is where ‘monkey see, monkey do’ comes into play. All I can say is that I think I will be really good at counting up to 8 in Chinese. Count me in for next week, swing dancing.

No comments: