Monday, April 2, 2007

It all started with...


...let’s see if we can find the church we keep hearing about in Guangzhou. So Deanna and I set of Sunday morning in search for a church. We took a different bus then the one we normally take into Guangzhou, because it was closer, but it was half the price. Turns out it is half price because they drop you off on the outskirts of Guangzhou. So we walked and shopped and walked and shopped until we found the metro station. We actually ended up walking through the tea capital of Guangzhou. Why else would you have a giant clay tea pot in the middle of the square. And yes I had to buy a traditional Chinese clay tea pot that only pours 4 miniature cups of Chinese tea or one normal size cup of western tea. We also ended up stopping at the International Wholesale Market. This market was unlike anything I have ever seen before. Thousands of vendors selling their items in this huge ware house building that is crammed full of merchandise. Just imagine all those items that have the made in China sticker on them, being sold in one place. They have everything, halloween costumes, tacky hair barrettes, sunglasses, socks, wallets, jewelry, silk flowers, curtains, lace, watches ... As soon as you touch an item the vendors come up to you and say “Okay how many?”
“I am only looking but how much would one cost?” I respond.
“Only one well...” After some number crunching on the calculator the price is shown.
“Oh, thanks” and I proceed to look around at other items.
Determined to sell me the original item I expressed an interest in, he quotes me another cheaper price. Note to self, do not touch anything unless you are committed to buying it or want to be hassled during your entire stay in the shop.
No sightings of the church yet we decided to head to a familiar place to eat, KFC. A familiar restaurant chain is may be but not the type of food I was expecting. I was surprised when my chicken burger did not resemble the picture I pointed too. Inside the patty there was chunks of vegetables and chicken. It actually didn’t taste too bad. At least you can always count on the fries tasting the same.
After, dinner we found the church. It felt like we had just stepped into the Italian community of China The surrounding buildings had Italian architecture design mixed with a little bit of Chinese. I tried taking a picture but it was too dark. The Church was a large stone Catholic Cathedral with beautiful stain glass windows. Three services every sunday so we have our choice Cantonese, Mandarin, or English. We plan on returning next week to catch the 3:00 English Easter Service.

4 comments:

Di said...

Ah, how much fun would the wholesale market be... probably a dangerous place!
Next time you are by the big teapot you should try to get a photo that looks like the water is being poured into your mouth. LOL I loved the "illusion" of catching it in your hand.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful picture of the Church. It looks like it came out of a horror picture set in Europe, not China.

Natasha said...

I can just imagine the Chinese people trying to figure out exactly what I am doing as I am trying to line myself up so that the water look as if it is being poured into my mouth. I sould put out a hat to collect coins as I hold my pose for the camera.

Anonymous said...

Natasha, you'll have to let me know how the service is at that church. Registered Chinese churches are very sensored in what they're allowed to teach, so my assumption is that it might not be a true version of Christianity preached there. But let me know.

Evelyn