Sunday, April 8, 2007

Easter Sunday

Deanna and I attended the 3:30 mass at the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Guangzhou. I honestly did not think that we would find any churches here in China. The service was completely full, even the standing room on the sides and at the back were full. We arrived early and were able to find a seat although it was behind a great huge column. I am not sure why the architects decided that it was a brilliant idea to have large columns located in the center of the aisles. On the other hand, the sound was really good and we could here all the hymns, scripture readings and the sermon. The entire service was in English, with different members leading different parts. Many of the songs I recognized from Mt. Zion and one song from Willingdon. There were many ethnicities represented at the church, but mainly Africans. The church was very bright insides with gorgeous chandeliers and stain glass windows. It totally did not feel as if we were still in China.

1 comment:

Di said...

Happy Easter to you. I think I would get totally lost in the ART of the stain glass windows and architecture,so beautiful.