Monday, February 8, 2010

SIX

I have been nervously anticipating my first passenger who needs to be transported to their destination of choice. So far all my travels in the GMC Olympic vehicles have been either mock runs with fake passenger pick ups and drop offs or route practices.




Sheldon and I managed to be placed on the same driving team based out of YVR. We of course bring our school work to read during the long waiting periods in between vehicle request. As we wait under the white tent at the staging area, located in the long term parking lot, we share stories with other driving team
members. Most drivers haven't had to pick up any real passengers yet but have some familiarity with the routes due to previous mock runs while others are newbies.
The best part about the YVR routes is the unknown tunnel. This tunnel isn't even accessible to the taxi drivers but typically for service vehicles and temporary for Olympic vehicles. It is as if we have the secret code to some video game that will allow us to jump the cue spitting us out right at the loading bay for international flights.


Today was the day to test my knowledge of the streets of
Vancouver, to welcome the Olympic guest into my vehicle and judge whether the situation warranted a lively conversation, small talk, or peace and quiet. Today I had my first passengers, all of whom arrived at the airport wanting to be dropped off at their hotel, which will be their place of residence for the next 3 plus weeks.

"Charlie 1183 this is your blue team lead. Charlie 1183 come in."
"Blue team lead this is Charlie 1183 You have been granted pass through the tunnel and are to proceed to domestic arrivals level two staging area. You are to wait for further instruction from the load zone attended upon the particulars of your passenger."
I am second in line at the domestic area waiting with great anticipation for passengers to exit through those censored doors. The loading zone is scattered with blue jackets as we chat about who the possible arrivals are and where their hotels are located. We have a rough schedule of names and locations but unscheduled passengers seem to be more frequent than the known ones on this particular morning. There is talk that a driver may have to drop off a passenger at a hotel in Vancouver, along with the possibility of a Prince arriving, and Rebecca Scott, the Canadian cross country skier.


Well, we never did receive the passenger that was headed north, nor the Prince, but Rebecca Scott did walk through those doors and I was the lucky person, okay the next in the cue, to drive her to the Olympic Family Hotel.
My head was spinning as I was focusing on the road, trying to remember what streets I had to turn onto, asking if she was comfortable, trying to make small talk without making myself look stupid, and while all making it all look natural as if I did this everyday. Things ran smoothly.

Now, being an old pro after my first drive I could relax a little. My next passengers, or should I say cargo was headed to the Athletes Village. I followed Sheldon as he drove the Netherland coaches to their accreditation center in the village. We dropped them off and took a moment to snap some pictures next to the Inukshuk, hey we can be tourists too.

No comments: