Friday, January 15, 2010

"and then it Happened"

I love being inspired. Today I was inspired to become an author, to use the power of words and tell a story, to want children to pick up a book because it is captivating, and to pick up a book myself and indulge in some reading. And that is just what I did. No not become an author, or write any story using powerful words, although I am writing this, and I didn't influence any children to pick up a book to read. So that leaves only one option after that long rambling rant... I bought a new series of books, with in total from "and then it Happened" by M & L Wade. You see Michael Wade visited my school today and left an impact. He told funny stories some from his childhood days of playing pranks and some from his upcoming books. For those moments we, the audience filled with grade 4 and 5 students and teachers, smiled, chuckled, giggled, and laughed.

We learned the lesson about the power of words and how changing a single worn in a written text can change the entire tone of the sentence.
"My dog Cooper likes to tear the stuffing out from his chew toys. When the doorbell rings my dog barks non stop until the door is opened. He greets the visitor by wiggling his bum and tail and by whimpering. He likes to lick the dew drops from the blades of grass on his early morning walks. My dog usually relieves himself in our front or back yard by peeing against a tree."
Now replace the word dog with dad and the entire grade 4 and 5 population will be engaged from beginning to end roaring with laughter. Yes, we can all write stories will a bit of humor in them.
"My dad Cooper likes to tear the stuffing out from his chew toys. When the doorbell rings my dad barks non stop until the door is opened. He greets the visitor by wiggling his bum and tail and by whimpering. He likes to lick the dew drops from the blades of grass on his early morning walks. My dad usually relieves himself in our front or back yard by peeing against a tree."

So here I am on a Friday afternoon, the school bell has long ago rung, in fact the clock hands have already traveled one full lap around since it rung and I haven't even dug in to the piles of papers on my desk. Many of the other teachers have already packed up their things and begun their journey home to their waiting families. Here I sit at my desk inspired to become an author and dreaming of my first successful novel.

What I will remember:
*Book number 7 is purposely printed with its cover upside down. It is too fool those teachers and parents who like to accuse children that they are not reading when they truly are. I confess I am one of those guilty teachers who have caught a student or two with their book upside down.
*Any average person can write
*25% of all books use basic words learned in grade 1. For example it, and, all, be, the, on, our, to, he, she, for, to, is, in, my...
*You exercise to get stronger. You read to get smarter.

I snap out of my daydream state, the the clock has almost completed its second lap and l I still have piles of papers on my desk. Daylight is turning into dusk, the last footsteps down the hall were heard 20 minutes ago and I still have to prepare my lessons for next week. I think I will begin a new read aloud to my class. After all, I have a set of brand new books and well, I might just be as interested in them as they are.

Check the series out at "And then it Happened"



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Link-building services need to include metrics to correctly gauge the excellence of
the campaign. The metrics need to measure the direct and referrer traffic concerning your site for a specific period, the amount of pinch hit your vital keywords, the non-targeted and targeted websites
that are connected to you. The metrics should be able to assess if the links can easily lead to sale.


Checkout this domain for more Free Article Spinner Download.