Sunday, July 8, 2007

On the roof of the world

We have made it to Lhasa, Tibet. It is not as easy to come as we first thought. There are so many permits and documents that need to be processed in order to enter the region. It is very hot here and I have been using an umbrella to block out the sun. It seems to be the thing to do here in China. It is like having your very own personal tree. The altitude here is 3650m above sea level and in a couple of days we will be viewing Mount Everest at the Base Camp from around 5000m above sea level. The high altitude affects each person differently with some people out of comission for three days. Thankfully I only felt sick for the first day, just a headach and very tired. I almost fell asleep waiting for our food at a restaurant. We have spent our time shopping and visiting the palaces and temples. Yesterday we visited the Potala Palace and the Jokhang Temple which I am sure I have taken way to many pictures of both. I believe I could create a 360 degree poster of Tibet. Tomorrow we head out for our 4-day tour to the Mountain. We are traveling with an American guy and a girl from Korea in a land cruiser. It will be nice and cozy for the next few days. Our longest day of driving is 9 hours. I hope that I won't get sick again from the even higher elevation. It is suppose to be the rainy season so I am not sure if we will have a good view of the mountain.

No comments: